Thank you all for taking the time to complete the Rothley Parents' Liaison Forum in the Autumn that was focused on how we can further develop our 'Reading Communitie' . We had over 140 responses which was great to see.
This is a brief outline of the results:
How do you think the school promotes reading for pleasure?
The feedback from parents and carers was overwhelmingly positive. As many of the replies have said, we have placed a huge emphasis on the importance of reading for pleasure over the past two years, so it is brilliant to hear that this is being seen at home.
Here is a summary of all the initiatives the school runs to promote reading for pleasure, (created from the feedback from parents):
- Rothley Review (recommending books)
- Library links
- Reading tents/areas in classrooms
- DEAR book clubs
- Mystery books
- Opportunities for free/independent reading
- Year 5/6 book club
- Bug club books
- Well-stocked class and key stage libraries
- Roving Book Shop visits
- Author visits
- Teachers passion for reading
- Teachers reading aloud from a class book
- Well-chosen guided reading books (KS2)
What could the school do to support you more at home with reading for pleasure?
This list of objectives has been generated from parent suggestions:
1) Recommended book lists for each year group stuck in the children’s homework folders
-This is something I will set up ready for the new school year, but I will add a list of recommended book at the end of this. These are all books that I have read and enjoyed.
2) More focus on books going home with children to read at home
- This will be something we as a school will try and improve straight away. It is important that children take a book home each night. In KS2, each child should now be taking home their guided reading book with a target page number to read to.
3) More support with reading for pleasure and reading comprehension at home.
- I will be hosting reading workshops for year groups/phases in KS2 to help support children at home with both reading for pleasure and reading comprehension. I am planning on hosting these at a variety of times (morning/afternoon/evening) to try and accommodate all that wish to attend). More details and dates for these will be announced soon!