2 Burrow Drive, Rothley, LE7 7RZ

0116 230 2106


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post 16 institutions 


Disabled Children and Young People:

Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 - that is 'a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities' . This definition provides a relatively low threshold and includes more children than many realise: 'long term' is defined as a 'year or more' and 'substantial' is defined as 'more than minor or trivial'. This definition includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing, and long term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, and cancer. Children and young people and those with SEN. Where a disabled child or young person requires special educational provision they will also be covered by the SEN definition.

The Equality Act 2010 sets out the legal obligations that schools, early years providers, post 16 institutions, local authorities and others have  towards disabled children and young people.

Where a child or young person is covered by SEN and disability legislation reasonable adjustments and access arrangements should be considered as part of SEN planning and review. Where school governors are publishing information about their arrangements for disabled children and young people, this should be brought together with the information required under the Children and Families Act 2014.


SEND Team        SEND Policy  Accessibility Plan   SEND Information Report 2022  



Parents living both in and out of catchment who have a child with a statement of Special Educational Needs can name the school as their school of choice. This may affect the numbers being allocated using the priority criteria.

 If the school is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Needs where the school is named in the Statement, priority for admission will be given to those children who meet the criteria set out in the Admissions policy.


Click here to see Admission Policy for 2022-2023


Local Offer:

What is the Local offer?

Local Authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision they expect to be across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. In setting out what they ' expect to be available', local authorities should include provision which they believe will actually be available.


Leicestershire Local Offer

In Leicestershire and Rutland, we now have the Leicestershire and Rutland Safeguarding Children Partnership (LRSCP) that oversees how we all work together to safeguard children. To find out more click here.


Contact Us:

If you have any concerns about your child's Special Educational Needs (SEN), then please contact our school office, that will redirect your concern to Mrs. Townsend our SENDCo.