Rothley Church of England Primary (Academy)

"Working together to achieve value and recognise the strengths of all"



What happens if my child feels unwell at school?

If a pupil is taken ill it is normal practice to ask an adult to collect the child from school. If medical attention is required we will attempt to contact parents or other notified contacts, but if this is not possible the headteacher may need to take whatever action is necessary to safeguard the child. In extreme circumstances, an ambulance will be called.

For this reason it is important that the school is kept informed of numbers and addresses where parents or other contacts can be contacted during the school day.

What happens if my child has an accident in school?

If your child is hurt during the school day and some treatment is required he or she will be given a note to explain what happened. A phone call will be made to parents of children who have a more serious injury or who have had a severe bump to the head so they can make an informed decision whether to collect them or not.

My child requires an epi-pen/ asthma inhaler, what should I do?

Children requiring an epi-pen/inhaler will have a care plan drawn up that details the use of the inhaler or epi-pen. These care plans are reviewed annually or when the situation changes. Parents take the responsibility for ensuring that medications have not expired. These medications are kept in the child's classroom and go with the children when they leave the site. If an epi-pen is administered or the child has an asthma attack that cannot be controlled an ambulance is called and parents notified immediately.

If your child requires an asthma inhaler or epi-pen to be kept in school please click here for the medical consent form, complete it and return to the school office

My child has been sick/has diarrhoea, how long should I keep him off school?

Your child should be kept off school for 24 hours after the last bout of sickness/diarrhoea.

How long should I keep my child off school with Chicken Pox/infectious illness?

The following illnesses are regarded as infectious and require a child to be kept at home until the infection has ceased.

 Chicken Pox Usually 5 days from rash or after all spots have crusted over
 German Measles  Usually 6 days from onset of rash
 Measles  Usually 4 measles from onset of rash
 Mumps  Usually 5 days after onset of swelling
 Whooping Cough  5 days after starting antibiotic treatment
 Impetigo  until lesions are crusted and healed
 Headlice  None
 Hand, foot and mouth disease  None

This is only a guideline, please be advised by your doctor. Please contact the office if you are unsure about keeping your child off for other illnesses.

My child needs medication during the school day, what should I do?

If possible please do not send medications to school. In cases where a prescribed medication should be administered 3 times per day this could be done, for example, before school, immediately after school and at bedtime. We recognise that there are exceptions to this, and in such circumstances the following guidelines should be followed.

  • Please do not allow children to bring medicines to school in bags or pockets; instead bring the medicine to the office in its original container with clear instructions
  • Complete a Medication Consent Form (from the office or click here to complete and bring to the school office)



What is the national curriculum?

The national curriculum outlines what all children should be taught in each Key Stage.

 What are KS1 and KS2?

Key Stage 1 (KS1) is years 1 and 2,Key Stage 2  (KS2)  is years 3,4,5 and 6

What are SAT's?

They are Statutory Assessment Tasks. These are national tasks/tests which are used to assess all children at the end of KS1 (Year 2) and at the end of KS2 (Year 6). The SAT results give a "snapshot" of children's attainment; in other words how they achieved in particular or tests taken on a specific/day/week.

What is Teacher Assessment?

This is the teachers’ judgement about what national curriculum level a child is attaining. This judgement will be made based on evidence gathered over a period of time and from a range of pieces of work, together with test results. It is usually a more reliable judgement of a child’s attainment than a test result alone.

 What is an LSA? 

An LSA is a Learning Support Assistant. This is somebody who supports learning in the classroom. Sometimes they will support individual children, at other times they may work with a group or with the whole class.

 What is PPA time?  

This is Planning, Preparation and Assessment time; all teachers are entitled to PPA time.

 What are INSET days? 

INSET stands for In Service Training. All schools in England have five days every year when they are closed to pupils to allow for staff training. They are an important part of staff training and development, ensuring that staff stay up to date with latest developments and so education in our school remains ‘cutting edge’.

 Can I get a paper copy of the documents that are on the website?

Please ask at the school office if you would like a paper copy of any of the information on this website.



 Useful Information

 Staying Safe Online    This a step by step guide to internet safety   This a free download and will you to have the full functionallity of Microsoft Office